Thursday, September 1, 2011

Tales of Adventure, where are they now? Louise Fulton

 Arafura Dreaming - A ceramics residency in Darwin
Ceramicist Louise Fulton, based in the Northern Rivers area of NSW, recently undertook a residency in Darwin with Territory Craft culminating in an exhibition inspired by the 150th anniversary of Charles Darwin's publication of On the Origin of Species and his 200th birthday anniversary. In this tale of adventure she takes us on a drive to the top end and through her process of creating works for the exhibition Dyad - an unnatural selection.
Louise Fulton tale of a residency in Darwin Read More

 

















Where is Louise Fulton  Now ?

This wintery July, I set off again in my trusty Toyota Echo and crossed Bass Strait. I was lucky enough to spend the month as artist in residence at Kings Bridge Gorge cottage.  Originally the caretaker’s home for Cataract Gorge reserve in Launceston, the cottage is built in the Arts and Crafts style and hosts visiting artists.

My daily routine included a visit to ‘Tant pour Tant’, a French patisserie and café, then snuggled in beanie, scarf, polofleece jacket and down booties, I worked in the drawing room of the cottage which faces the cliffs of the gorge. Apart from working on botanical drawings of casuarinas, I made an installation inside the tiny tollhouse where a dining table was set then covered with artificial snow. 

At the end of the residency I had a show with my sister Deborah Fulton at Sidespace Gallery at Salamanca Arts Centre in Hobart. Deb exhibited her elegant Adirondack style chairs and I showed my ceramic sculptures and drawings related to botany and evolution. Our sister Rebecca Fulton opened the show.


























Tales of Adventure list
Louise Fulton Blog 
Kings Bridge Gorge Cottage residency program

No comments:

Post a Comment